American Manbaby

Once I was married. Yes, true. For 3 years (1 good). We met in Munich during Octoberfest. The missus grew up in Siberia; a brutal city called Irkutsk. She described life in Siberia. When communism collapsed, even worse. What her family had to do to survive. She scoffed at Americans. How weak & spoiled we are. Her toughness is what I dug about her (that faded). But I digress.

At age 10 I started (real) wilderness camping in the BWCA (MN/CAN border), via YMCA Camp Menogyn. Hanging food from trees due to black bears. Washing dishes via the underside of moss. Eating powdered / dried food for a week (extremely heavy btw). Portaging canoes lake to lake doing the '3 boy up' in sync inverted hoist on to shoulder yoke. Teamwork. 

One of the cultural aspects of Judaism involves complaining. This stereotype does come from reality. When I was with that side of my family, I would cringe at how what's normal to them was so embarrassing to me, esp. out in public. Too hot! Too cold! The waiter would ask our table 'is anything all right?' 

On to the present day. The rona shines a spotlight on how fat & happy & ignorant we've been. We've yet to experience a widespread successful cyberattack (it's coming) against the power grid, utilities, broadband, air traffic towers, something. We do experience ransomware attacks (Garmin the latest) due to the inept mismanagement of of corporate IT depts. Not installing something as simple as Malwarebytes throughout the org? Screening all attachments? Not mandating 2FA? Is that really that difficult, IT admins rocking your pleated pants & white socks? 

Freedom was everywhere: to travel the next town or state. Go to the beach. Go to the Ntl Parks. Visit corner restaurant, barber, grocery store. Walk in, walk out. 

Since forever you've seen the 'no shirt no shoes no service' signs. Where are the protests against that? You think wearing a mask is uncomfortable? Ever run a 10k? Bike a century? Still driving your car 6 blocks to the grocery store? 

I've been to Europe 11 times, 2 for business. I was in Munich one month after 9/11. Soldiers everywhere with serious weaponry. I was in Moscow in '03 when the subway bomb happened. I was on the subway 2 days later when it re-opened, passing through human turnstiles of 6'7" soldiers with AK's & Rottweilers. 

You cannot appreciate how Americans react to the slightest discomfort until you leave the country. And I'm not talking about your Cancun or Jamaican all-inclusive. We have it so good here. So easy. We're laughable how good we have it here. Clean water. Clean air (mostly). Reliable electricity. Reliable broadband. 

So tell me again: who's the Manbaby?