The upside of bad first impressions

Folks meeting me usually have a bad 1st impression. I do that deliberately. Set the bar low.  

In their defense, I'm also blunt, dismissive, judgmental, and have far better taste than you in art (I live in a gallery), music (Fela Kuti & Linton Kwesi Johnson changed my life; you've not heard of either), movies (don't test me), & writers (I was reading entire adult books at age 6, when I hit 1st grade my classmates were learning the fucking alphabet).   

However! I'm fully self-aware of my asshole factor, which separates me from most assholes (& most people for that matter). Most assholes aren't aware the world sees them as assholes. I know precisely how I'm perceived. So it goes.   

The big difference between me & other assholes? I give blood, and have since the 90s. Approaching four gallons worth. Also, I'm a 'Big Brother' mentor, 3x. My first 'little' & I still connect monthly, years later, he lives overseas now actually. My 2nd turned 18 this year, and my brand new (1 month in) little is almost 15. Obsessed with video games & Star Wars. Could be far worse.  

Whenever I mention I give blood, I encourage others to. I get a universal, consistent response: an excuse for why they don't. I'm too young, too old, too anemic, too this, too that. Yeah, right. 98% are fucking liars. The only way you would know you can't give blood is to try to. And only 1% of the population tries to. 

Ever volunteer as a youth mentor, such as Big Brothers / Big Sisters? Do the background check? Do the training? Make the commitment? Nope, you haven't. Because you're 'too busy.' Or maybe 'I have my own kids' so fuck everyone else's.  

My first 'little' (now overseas) earned his PhD from NYU a few years back. My 2nd, the 18 yo, hasn't been arrested once since meeting me (only detained!). He's passing all his classes also, and enrolling in actual skills training outside of his high school. He's awesome. Both are. Both had dads in prison when I met them. 

So what's the point of this post? You're better than an asshole, no? You too can give blood. You too can spend time with at-risk youth and let them know someone actually cares about them and their future. Help them out. Help out accident victims, whom you'll never ever meet. 

Be a good person. I'm setting the bar low. You can do this. 

updated Aug 25, 2020

This is me walking the walk at the Red Cross: