Road bicyclists: this is for you.


This is Mike Hall. He was arguably the strongest, fastest endurance cyclist ever. I first learned of him via the movie 'Inspired to Ride' which is hypnotically good. In the movie I cringe watching him fly across the USA, because most of the time he's dressed head to toe in all black or very dark clothing. Mike Hall was killed by a driver in 2017 in a race across Australia, just before sunrise. 
--
I myself bike over 3,000 miles most years. I've lived in the Pac NW, the SE, the Midwest. And I've ridden in other states doing week long things. The point is: I've ridden with hundreds, and see hundreds more out on the open roads. And on every single ride, without fail, I see riders looking exactly like Mike Hall. 
--
I am hyper safety conscious when riding. I get teased for my rear view mirror (99% of roadies don't use them), my UV protection (sun sleeves & helmet visor), lots of tools, bright tail light & my fluorescent jerseys. That's ok, I don't mind, I've been teased my entire life for something or other. I try to convince others of their utility, but it's their choice of course. 
--
So hey riders of the world out there: please think about your visibility. Asphalt roads are grey. You're wearing black or grey or navy. That texting teenager coming up behind you? Yeah she doesn't see you. 
--
Sidebar, and, for guys only: check how old your bibshorts are. Yeah, they dissolve in the back, esp when stretched out. I'm the only rider on the planet who actually says something to other riders, total strangers. And no: not gonna be pic of that scenario.