If you need to pull over to make a phone call


There's the expression 'they can't walk & chew gum at the same time.' 
 
I'm a bicyclist. I'm keenly traffic aware, meaning I monitor all cars around me. I have a mirror on my helmet for those behind me. Anyhoots, because I ride the roads so frequently, and slowly at 15-20 mph, I can see a lot. 

Quite often I see a car pulled over. Because I bike a few feet away I can easily view the driver. 100% of the time they're on their phone, just like in the pic. I see this, and so do you, probably every day. We used to think they're out of gas, but now we all know they're just yapping on their phone. 

Here's the problem(s) with this. 

Problem 1: Let's say your local or state law says ya gotta pull over to yap. Any (new) car sold in the last, what? 5 years? 8 years? has Bluetooth. Your phone has Bluetooth. You can actually talk through your car stereo! Yes, crazy I know. But true. Oh wait! Your car has no Bluetooth? Or you're not sure? Or you don't know what Bluetooth is and have no friends to help you? Well then, here's a wired headset with a microphone. Looks like this. $10 on amazon, target, best buy, etc: 



Problem 2: The issue of 'distracted driving.' Being a cyclist, as outlined earlier, this is always a concern for me and all cyclists, whenever we ride. We of course want all drivers focused on driving. Here's the issue. Let's say you have a passenger in your car. Let's say you're having a conversation with that person, sitting next to you. Routine, no? Explain to me how chatting with someone in your car is different than chatting on the phone? I got into an argument with my PhD buddy over this a year ago, which put this blurb in my mental queue. 

Moreover: I argue that someone inside your car is more distracting than a phone chat. Hey parents: how many hours have you driven with your youngster in the back seat? Talking to them? How about multiple kids, shrieking? Are you kidding me? You need to pull over to open your mouth and talk? Can you walk & chew gum or do you need to choose one over the other? 

Problem 3: If you seriously cannot drive & phone yap at the same time, you should not be driving, period. You should take the bus. Or bike. Or walk. Or car pool. Or stay home.
 
So: do you pull over to yap?