Why do music fans play craptastic stereos?

 

Dateline: Victrolas onwards. The ladyfriend with the Thunderbird MBA had one loudspeaker behind the sofa. Another, an MD, had a clock radio as her music system. I witnessed her using it to dance to MacArthur Park & it was horrifying. A couple others had the please think for me I'm unable Bose wave radio. Most had tiny Bluetooth speakers. Not just ladies, blokes also. Same thing. Craptastic stereos from the 90s. All have this also in common: they enjoy music. 

All enjoy music or claim to (doesn't everyone?). Surely everyone replies in the affirmative to the simple query do you dig music? Oh yeah I like music listen whenever I can oh yeah man for sure. So I reply oh groovy what's your stereo like? Their reply what stereo? I use airpods & my Bluetooth speaker at home. 

I'm been inside the homes of wealthy friends & colleagues, many. Nice furniture & art. Fancy kitchens. And a Bluetooth speaker on the counter. That's it. 

I admit I'm on the other end of this. Hence this cranky blurb. This is actual pic of my last house as I was moving in. Priorities:


A pic of my NC loft when I went through my Zu Audio phase, which lasted a few years: 


I feel sorry for people who've never sat in front of a sweet rig. Actually I don't feel anything for them. But if I did, it would be pity. 

Ok then Weisenheimer, what do you recommend as baby steps? Glad you asked. One word: Audioengine. Affordable to anyone and everything they make sounds great. Can't go wrong. Go score yourself some of their stuff & don't make me come back here.